Thursday, January 10, 2019

Vagamon Ultra 2019


October 13, 2018: As soon as I completed malanad ultra run 50k, I knew I am qualified for the vagamon ultra trail and without wasting much time I registered for the run the very next day.

January 3, 2019: Two more days to go, I was doubtful about even attempting the run since I was already down with flu for more than a week.

January 4, 2019: One more day to go, I felt that my body has recovered enough that I will be able to run comfortably and finish my first 60km event.

January 5, 2019: If you ever want to conquer ultra hill running, you need to practice daily in the hills like the pallvaram hill in chennai. I knew that I lack that training and to make up for it I was running 20km every day.
Today is the day to prove that I can do it. At the same time I was without practice for the past 10 days due to flu, hence the strategy was to ensure finishing before the cut off time without pushing too hard.

Let me highlight different types of hill runners and their usual running strategy.

  1. Running with waist bag


You can run with two water bottles and carry other items in the zip pouch like energy gels

  1. Running shoulder bag





This type can carry a lot more water and other extra items.

  1. Hiking stick


It is useful during steep climbs. However it is still not conclusive that it provides some advantage since you
need to carry it along

  1. Running head light



This is typically used by runners running for more than 12 hours.

  1. Only bottles


Best strategy according to me is to run with as minimum luggage as possible since it will weigh you down as the distance increases. So I decided to run with only a 300ml water bottle in one hand since the Aid stations were available at every  5km distance. I also had a pair of running sun glasses since the run was mostly in the open. In malanad ultra I was able to run with only a hat since the run was mostly in the shade through the forest.

The run started exactly at 6.30 a.m and since it was a 60km run on a very tough terrain the cut off time was 12 hours. The only option was to walk in most of the places due to thick bushes, loose rocks, steep slopes, narrow bridges and so on.
The first 24 kms were very scenic and the sun was creating a good colorful picture of the whole area.
It was also the most windy period of the run that when I was on top of the paragliding area (the only one in kerala), I imagined flying down with the wind.

Around 19th km it became a steep downward run making it difficult to slow down. Thigh muscles started its real work of deceleration from this point on wards. At 24th km, I had idly, steamed banana,steamed sweet potato and tea.

Time is 10.30 am and the run resumed along on a steep tarmac. This was the most difficult climb of the entire run and now it was just a matter of surviving the sun for next few hours ensuring to continue moving no matter  how tired I became.

At times I felt I should have carried one more bottle since I was feeling very thirsty but apart from the official Aid stations there were local people providing water in between which gave me good relief. At the next Aid station I relished bread with peanut butter which proved very useful.

The next cut -off point was the 43rd km and the cut off time was 3.00 PM. I managed to reach at 2.30 PM. This
was also the rest area where runners could rest and get massage. Surprisingly I was not tired. After having some
curd rice I decided to move ahead without wasting time. The next Aid station was at the 50th km and I was misled into understanding that it will be at the 48th km. I was running without water for close to 2 kms. Once I reached the Aid station I quenched my thirst and confirmed that the next aid station will be after 5km.

Now it was about just moving ahead with the pain all over the leg and body and ensuring to complete the run.
 Finally half an hour before cut off I managed to finish the run ranking 57 out of 117. 36 did not finish the run
 either due to being too slow or due to missing the trail and wasting time or giving up.

At the finishing point I got my medal and proceeded towards the open gathering for further refreshment.
Dinner tasted even more amazing later during the night.

It was my third ultra run and the best in terms of the beauty, challenges and the pampering provided at each
 and  every Aid station. Well done Soles of Cochin.





1 comment:

  1. Well done Alwin. It is commendable as you had no practice for this run and still won the medal. So praise God always. Read psalms 119:164

    ReplyDelete